Practicing ashtanga yoga after coffee, a personal experience

It would get me out of bed in the morning... My first morning coffee. But was it really helping my practice?


By the time I was starting the standing sequence I would feel it- that extra boost of energy. That ability to engage my muscles more strongly. This caffeinated strength would continue on into the seated poses of primary. The bundahs would feel locked on in the forward folds, I also had the will to try and push more and tuck tighter as I attempted jump backs.

I would hear the sloshing in my stomach when it came to drop backs and hand stands, reminding me that cup of coffee had been with me throughout the practice.



"No coffee, no prana" 

A quote from Pattabhi Jois, the teacher who developed ashtanga yoga, that resonated well with me. 

How do I know that coffee did all this? Because it stopped when I gave up my pre-practice morning coffee for a hot lemon water. 

I know that caffeine has diuretic effects so a coffee first thing wasn't doing my hydration levels any good. Especially when starting the day with a sweaty ashtanga practice. I also felt the ups and downs of caffeine's highs and withdrawals later in the day. Given my science mind I was keen to see what would happen when I stopped drinking caffeine. So hence the transition to lemon water and the cutting out of ALL caffeinated drinks. 

The next ten days were shockingly difficult. Not only did I have less energy for my practice, but I was no longer as flexible. My body ached. I don't think it was all because of the change in my practice, this was unique from anything I had felt before. These were the pains of caffeine withdrawal. Ten long days of withdrawal. 

At the end of those ten days things had improved. The pains were gone and my practice was almost back to a pre caffeine withdrawal level. Was it the same? Not yet. A morning coffee did have a strong influence. It gave an extra boost, which for an ashtanga practice can feel physically beneficial. Its also pretty damn helpful for those early morning practices.

This all happened about six months ago. Am I still caffeine free? Nope. But I don't have caffeine before practice. If I give myself enough time between waking and getting to the mat (I'm slow starter in the morning, extremely slow) my practice feels strong. I would say it's as strong as it was when caffeinated. As far as I can remember.

There are countless studies out there proclaiming the physical and mental benefits of caffeine. But a very large number have an experimental flaw. They ask the no-caffeine participants to go without coffee, tea and cola for 24 hours or so, sometimes less. So it ends up that the researchers compare the performance of people that have had caffeine to those that are going through caffeine withdrawal- not fair really. The control group needs to be participants that regularly don't drink any caffeine. That's pretty hard to find these days. 

Am I pro or anti coffee prior to ashtanga yoga practice? There are benefits on both sides of the argument. I think it's up to each person to try their practice with and without the effects of caffeine and decide, but not while suffering caffeine withdrawal. I think it's great to develop an awareness of what works or doesn't for you.

Funny thing is... I'm up in the early hours of the morning writing this when I should be asleep. I had two espresso coffees today... Guess I'm still trying to find the balance.